How to find a Spiritual Director in 2023
Now that you have discovered the art of Spiritual Direction and how it differs from other helping services, you may be wondering how in the world to find a Spiritual Director who is a good fit with you. While you could search Google and hope for the best, here are a few go-to resources to get you off to a good start.
- Read a few articles to get a broad overview of the world of choosing a Spiritual Director.
- How to find a Spiritual Director. In this article, the author offers an excellent overview, plus lots of links to other resources. Start here.
- Looking for Catholic or Protestant resources in particular? Check out these resources.
- Blessed is She and Catholic Spiritual Direction both provide a good overview of issues to consider and questions to ask from a Catholic perspective.
- Grafted Life Ministries offers a helpful article, catering to Protestant seekers.
- Visit Spiritual Director member sites to search by spiritual tradition, location, and specialty.
- Spiritual Directors International is the largest membership organization, including all faith traditions, and those with no particular faith tradition.
- Grafted Life Ministries provides a searchable database of hundreds of Protestant Spiritual Directors.
- Catholic Spiritual Direction provides a small listing of Catholic Spiritual Directors with contact information.
- Mayslake Ministries based in the Chicago area provides many Catholic Spiritual Directors.
- Hearts on Fire provides a listing of Spiritual Directors of the United Methodist Church tradition.
- Based upon their listing and what you learn about the Spiritual Director from their website, choose 3-5 to send an email to, asking to schedule a brief phone inquiry call. Keep in mind, that during this season, most Spiritual Directors are meeting remotely with clients on video calls. You can now meet with Spiritual Directors from virtually anywhere in the world. We are not as limited by geography as we once were.
- On the call, be prepared to share about yourself. And plan to ask questions of the Director.
- If you feel a spiritual connection with someone, by all means schedule a first Spiritual Direction session. If you are not certain, give yourself time to ponder.
- My own Spiritual Director advises that sometimes we seek Spiritual Direction for a reason, a season, or for a lifetime. Some of us see someone for a brief time, then return some time later. There is really no wrong way to do this.
- Trust that the Spirit will guide you to the person who is right for you at the right time.
If you would like to chat further, please feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com
You must be logged in to post a comment.