How can I benefit most in Spiritual Direction?
To enhance the spiritual direction process, directees prepare for sessions by thinking about several things they want to discuss (see sample preparation questions below.) They also take notes during or after the session on the key points, review their notes several times before the next session, and follow up on things the spiritual director recommends.
Directees who gain the most also understand that spiritual growth takes time, effort, and patience, and that although some sessions may not feel fruitful on the surface, there may be subtle shifts occurring subconsciously.
Spiritual Direction Preparation Questions
The questions below can help you prepare for your spiritual direction session:
- Where am I now in my life—my personal life, my professional life, my creative life, my believing life? Am I where I want to be in all of these areas of my life? How did I get to this place in my life?
- What are my questions, doubts, confusions?
- How has my spiritual life been in the past few months? Rich, full, boring, chaotic?
- What events, experience, relationships, etc. have given me a sense of God’s presence or absence?
- How do I feel about my relationship with God, and about God’s relationship with me right now?
- Which life decisions have me wondering what God’s will is for me?
- In what area(s) of my life do I sense God calling me to grow or to let go of something?
- How have I been connecting with God, my soul, in the past few months (prayer, meditation, music, walking in the woods, etc.)? How often, and how satisfying have each of these been? Is the experience as fulfilling as I would like?
- How can my spiritual director help me to address the empty or uncertain areas of my life, so that I can feel vibrant, whole, and connected once more?
- Is there anything else I would like to talk about with my spiritual director?